@ Lukes | Press Reviews

This blog contains press articles that are related to Gilmore Girls and/or its cast members, published since the show first started airing in 2000. The articles are archived according to the date they were added to the blog. Their original publishing dates are posted in their titles.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

(2005) Gilmore Girls Is Going Strong

by Kristin Veitch Feb. 5, 2005

Gilmore Goodness: The best news from the Froggie bash was that all Gilmore Girls stars in attendance told me the show, currently in season five and about to celebrate that magical 100th episode this Tuesday, is all systems go for another season. "I'd say there's a damn good chance six is happening," Edward Herrmann (grandpa Gilmore) told me. "That is the plan we've heard. As for whether it goes to the full seven--Lauren and Alexis have seven-year contracts--I suspect it will, if the ratings are anything like they are this season."

Now, you fans caught that, right? Lauren Graham (Lorelai) and Alexis Bledel (Rory) are committed to the series for two more seasons, so Alexis wanted to make something perfectly clear: "They always make it seem like the actors have something to do with that, with how long the show goes on, but they don't," she explained. "We have no control, ever. My So-Called Life did not end because Claire Danes didn't want to do it anymore. It ended for some other reason." Lauren also chimed in, thanking Alexis for that reference from "the late '80s" just before fessing up to the fact that she borrowed Alexis' So-Called DVD and still hasn't returned it! Check back for their adorable real-life interaction in an upcoming video clip.

So it seems, faithful tubers, we have little need to worry about the fate of Gilmore Girls for the time being. The actors are on board, the ratings are strong, and the consensus at the Television Critics Association Press Tour is that the show is better than ever. "We're having a great time, and I'm glad people are enjoying this season," Lauren said. "But can I ask why? Is it because so many people are making out?"

Um, er, nooo...But I will say there is a steamy, and shocking, such session in the upcoming 100th episode, which is well worth your time this Tuesday (the episode, not the canoodling). It focuses on the renewed vows of Richard and Emily, something that, according to Herrmann, should put a few fans' minds at ease. "I had no idea people would be so upset that we were separated. Little 12-year-olds in the grocery store, back where I live in Connecticut, were crying, 'Are you guys gonna get back together?' "

There also will be plenty o' drama with Luke, Lorelai and Christopher (Rory's dad) in the big 100th ep. "Yes, and a lot of it was caused by me," Kelly Bishop (grandma Gilmore) admitted, "which makes her really angry with me, and now I'm not in two episodes after that, so I said, 'She was really mad!' I don't know how we're going to make up."

Same goes for Luke and Lorelai. "It's tough for me with Christopher back," Scott Patterson said. "No matter how schmucky he behaves, you wanna give him that second chance, because he's Rory's biological father. I'm just a guy slinging coffee. I had a horoscope that she gave me in my wallet for a year, so what? I didn't aid her in spawning a child. But whatever happens, even if I don't win her in the end, I'm sure it'll still be a happy ending."

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristin/Archive2005/050205.html